Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Raising the Dead

This morning I read Luke 7:11-17.

In this section of the Bible, Jesus is about to enter a town. As he is approaching the town he notices a funeral procession. A group of people were carrying a coffin out of the town. Jesus's heart sank as he looked beyond the coffin and saw the deceased person's mother. The Bible tells us that this woman was a widow and the person in the coffin was her only son. Jesus stopped the people carrying the coffin and spoke to the boy. The boy immediately sat up and began to talk. Then Jesus gave the boy back to his mother.

As I read this passage I could pretty easily relate to the story. When I'm honest with myself I can see that there are parts of me that are spiritually dead. These parts have slowly died over time and their death has almost gone unnoticed. Like the widow, these dead parts in me have left me feeling empty and alone...the feelings that can only come when you realize that your relationship with God is not what it once was.

So this morning I prayed that God would ressurect those parts in me. That He would once again reign in my life. That I would once again look to Him for every answer to every question that I'm asking.

Hopefully you are wiser than me. Hopefully you don't let yourself die. But, if you do find yourself dead ask God to raise you back to life.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger darcy said...

Such a good post, D. I'm finding myself in the "spiritual winter" of my faith. Things are just moving way too quickly and I find myself getting caught up in all the stuff.

What a good reminder to slow down and realize that parts of me are "dead".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home