Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The DaVinci Code

First let me say how much I hate to read. You will almost never see me reading for pleasure, but recently I picked up a copy of The DaVinci Code. I figured that since the movie was coming out I should really read the book so that I could talk to people about what the movie says. I really enjoyed the action in the book, but really disliked what the book was saying.

In a nutshell, the book says that what we know about Jesus is a lie fabricated by the Church. It says that the "truth" is that there are many "gods," all of whom are equal. Jesus was special, but certainly wasn't God's only son. Jesus was in fact a mortal man who was never crucified and never raised from the dead. The story is built around legends and "clues" that DaVinci left for us in his paintings.

First let me say that these beliefs do not allign with Christianity at all. If you look in this blog's archives you will see some "Well I believe..." posts- this is a must believe point.

Here are some of my ideas about this story. Maybe DaVinci really did believe what the book is saying. Maybe he really did hide things in his paintings. That still proves nothing! If you read Mien Kampf you see that Hitler was convinced that the Jews were an inferior race. Swastikas are symbols of this belief. But, obviously that doesn't make it true, no matter how much Hitler believed it. The same it true of DaVinci. It doesn't matter how much he believed this myth, it still doesn't make it true.

Something else to think about. DaVinci's paintings came 1400 years after Jesus. DaVinci's symbols claim to hold the truth about the man (Jesus).

The Bible also contains hundreds of symbols and writings about Jesus (see the post- Easter Symbolism). They tell us that Jesus was God, He became man, lived a perfect life, was murdered, rose from the dead, and returned to heaven. Several huge differences in the symbols of the Bible compared to the symbols of DaVinci exists. Think about this. DaVinci's symbols came 1400 years after Jesus, the Bible's symbols came several thousand years before Jesus. The writings and symbols were not an afterthought...there were a prophecy. DaVinci claimed to know the truth about the man. The Bible says that Jesus is the man about the truth!

If you want a spectacular treasure hunt read Genesis, Exodus, Isaiah and then Matthew.

What does it mean to you that Jesus is the man about the truth?

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dina said...

to this post I would like to give a resounding AMEN! Way to stand up for Jesus and speak truth. I am gonna try the Genesis, Exodus, Isaiah, Matthew route and see what I learn. In Christ,

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger darcy said...

Isn't it sad that millions of people are going to see this movie and doubt their faith? Or if they didn't have any faith may actually believe this stuff? Yikes.

I'm proud of you for reading the book too, Darin. I know how much you hate to pleasure read. I admire the work that you are putting in so that if anyone (esp our youth) asks you questions about it, you are prepared.

JESUS is the truth PERIOD and it's so hard to see people and society TRY prove that wrong. It scares me to think what kind of havoc this movie may produce.. but Christ always wins. We just gotta pray for viewers hearts not to sway.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Darin said...

As I re-read my post today I realized that I didn't get all of my true feelings out. It saddens me because I think that many many people will have their faith destroyed by a piece of fictional feces. If you choose to see this movie or read the book make sure that you pray for protection and wisdom before you see it.

Here is a quote from another Christian:

"DVC represents a debate in which the questions start with Satan's presumptions. I find it beyond naive to convince myself that the folks who are lapping up DVC are on a "search for truth." They're not. They are on a crusade to validate their own rejection of the authority of Christ and the Church."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home