Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Where Credit is Due

Let's give credit where credit is due...

I attended Acquire the Fire last weekend. They talked a lot about the spiritual battle that is going on for our hearts. I also recently watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Last night I watched The Visitation. Both of these movies dealt with the spiritual warfare (if you are lost: God vs. Satan, Angels vs. Demons, Good vs. Evil...) issue. They showed the power that Satan has, and the terrible things he can do to people. I must admit that after watching the first movie I was a bit disturbed. After all, Satan is very powerful. In Jude 1:9 we are told "even the archangel Michael, when disputing with the devil..., did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" Even angels see the power of the Devil.

But before we get too scared, lets get a reality check here. We need to remember one critical thing- Satan and God are not equal/opposite in power! God is God and Satan is a fallen angel. Satan does not have equal power with God. Notice that even though Michael didn't speak against the devil he wasn't scared and spoke in the name of the Lord.

Understand that while there is a battle going on...God wins. God always wins! Never has God lost! God is All Powerful. He is Lord of Lords.

If you are a Christian do not fear the devil, for "the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

Let's give the credit to God.

4 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger darcy said...

Awesome post, sweetie!! know this has been on your heart and I'm so glad you voiced it to everyone!!!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Darin said...

Great questions. If you believe in spiritual warfare (satan and demons trying to turn us from God)- which I do, then it can be very scary. I have experienced spiritual warfare many times- for example- almost every time I speak I get depressed afterward. I am overcome with doubt about myself and the message I gave. I know that this is Satan trying to discourage me from living for God.

Emily Rose takes it to another level though. Emily was actually possessed by a demon. This means that the demon would actually take over her body. The gospels and Acts are full of stories like that. While we Christians may be uncomfortable with this idea, it is undeniably a part of the Bible and thus true.

Satan is strong, and that does make this stuff scary.

But God is stronger.

Jes- you are right. We still can loose the inner battle. Our souls can be lost. From the beginning God has given us the choice. But even when we choose to reject God, it isn't God that is loosing.

I don't want to oversimplify this, but here is an analogy. My uncle is a Pittsburg Steeler fan. He has t-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats. He celebrated when they won the Super Bowl, and he was a small part of it. But, even if he hadn't been a Steeler fan, they still would have won. Even if he had decided to root for the Seahawks, Pittsburg still would have won. The outcome didn't depend on which side he choose to root for...

The outcome has been decided. God wins. The only question is whose t-shirt are you wearing?

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Darin said...

That would have been hilarious and scary at the same time.

Thanks again for your question. It is helping me with an upcoming message.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Darin said...

#1- I wish wish we would all remember that we are sinners saved by grace. There is no one who is good- we just tend to forget that.

#2- I'm talking about getting into the battle, and that God has already determined the outcome...He wins. Everyone's questions have been great in helping me clarify my ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home