Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Accepting Help

Well thanks to anyone who still reads this. We haven't stopped doing it, it is just that 20-somethings can get busy. Last week was crazy for me and I just didn't have the time/energy/inspiration to write anything. I can tell that many of us are in the same situation.

Anyway in my busyness last week I found myself falling into an old pattern- the crazier things get- the more I try to do everything myself. I see accepting help as a sign of failure. After all, if I was really competant, shouldn't I be able to handle things? Seriously- I'm the helper. I'm so great that I can help other people. I don't need people to help me in all my greatness (I hope you can sense my sarcasm). Unfortunately, though I don't feel this way, I often act this way. Why is it so hard to accept help?

One of my favorite people of all time is Elijah. You can read about him in the Bible in 1 Kings 17. This guy was a stud. He was important. He was a big shot. He was bold and he was used by God. Yet immediately after his public ministry starts, God puts it on hold. God tells him to go hide in a ravine doing nothing except drinking from the brook and eating food that God would provide. Doing nothing like this would be a stretch for me. Next God tells him to go to a starving widow, tell her that he is hungry, and ask for a meal. This must have been tough for Elijah. After all...he is really important...he should be helping the widow...it shouldn't be this way.

Yet this was God's plan. This is not a story about laziness and taking advantage of other people. It is a story of someone who relied totally on God. Elijah didn't let his pride get in the way of God. He was faithful in all ways.

I hope we can continue to help and support each other. My greatest desire is that we could help each other as we try to follow God and grow our relationships with Him.

What are your thoughts?

By the way...I'll go first with asking for help. I could really use some prayers for me and my family. The reality of loosing Dad is setting in. Thanks. Also, I could use some more people to go to Acquire the Fire (this asking for help thing seems to get easier as you go).

1 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger Darin said...

Thanks for posting Connie! I/we really appreciate that you took a chance and got real. I know that all of us can relate to what you said. The post that I'm going to do today actually is related to that topic.

Even King David (in the Bible he is refered to as "a man after God's own heart") had times where he felt like this.

Thanks so much for sharing, and I'll be praying for you and everyone else in the group who is feeling like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home