Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mid-20's Crisis Part III

If you haven't read Part I, here is the scoop. It seems like many people in our age group are struggling with many of the same issues, so I wanted us to be able to offer ideas, ask questions, and chat with each other. The basic rule is not to share other people's business (gossip) and to be sensitive.

Here is our second subject: singleness. I know that my thoughts are coming only from my point of view, so I really hope that some others can hop in the conversation.

I guess that as long as I can remember I have had a desire for a lasting committed relationship. When I was in elementary school that didn't really mean much. I didn't want to talk on the phone (or in person for that matter) and I didn't like notes. I'm not sure what exactly I enjoyed about "going with someone," but I know that I did love that feeling of someone thinking I was special. My desires grew as I did and they changed to a gut wrenching desire to be married.

I would have never imagined that I would be the first person in my family (extended included) to not be married immediately after college. This reality became more and more difficult as my younger cousins passed me on the race to the alter. The feelings of emptiness were often almost too much to bear. I'll never forget the day that I passed the unofficial/unspoken "fail date" for marriage set by my family. That was a bad day!

Wow...enough sad. Single life wasn't all that bad though. I had more freedom and less worries. I was able to go anywhere and do anything that I wanted. I had more time because I only had one schedule to worry about. And, when I was having a good attitude about being single I had a lot of fun.

I think that the most important thing that I tried to do was to trust God to bring me the right person at the right time. I loved the love stories found in Song of Solomon and Genesis 24/29. I also had to trust that God would provide me with the love and friends that I needed.

Wow. This was a long one. I'd love to hear from you all. How did/do you handle being 20-something and single?

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger darcy said...

Hey.. what's with this "single-hood" wasn't so bad thing?? Freedoms and such? Do you have somthing to tell me? Just kidding. =)

Singlehood in the ol' 20's... as you obviously know I have a different story than most.. but when I was in the dating world trying to figure things out and date.. it was HARD! I hated not know if the other person was on the same page as me and such. But it was such a breath of fresh air when I met you. You fit. I didn't have to worry about how you felt.. you were honest, loving and just what God had planned for me. So anyone out there that is still single, a word of encouragement is to take a deep breath, TRUST and know that this wait is not forever. You will be rewarded with the desire of your heart.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Beck said...

There are times when I love the single life and the freedom that it offers... but really, who wants that freedom when the 'other side' is freeing too! It is a struggle- being 26 and single with most friends of mine being married and doing the young family thing. I am so happy for them and love them all to pieces. The challenge is for married people to not forget about their single friends once married (and the best ones don't)and for the Christian Singles to trust that 'their time will come'... I'm not always patient in this!!! :)
Beck (PS I ready Darcy's blog and travelled over here from her site ;))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home