Monday, May 22, 2006

Greatness

Anyone who knows me knows that "competitive" is a pretty fitting adjective for my life. There are few things that I enjoy more than competition. I coach two sports and compete regularly in three more. I do it because I need the exercise and because I get a high when I am able to succeed.

On Sundays I play in a flag football league. It is fun, but it is also hard for me. I played football in college and did pretty well, but on our flag football team I'm not one of the stars. It is hard for me to accept and I want so badly to be the best at EVERYTHING I do.

A few weeks ago as I was driving to my game I felt like asked me a question. He asked me, "If I make you great in one thing, what do you want it to be?" I began to think about it. Would I really choose to be great in my flag football league? How about in my slow pitch softball league or pick up basketball games? Would I want to be a great coach or a great husband?

I gave God an answer that day. I told Him the one thing that I wanted to be great in. I will share that later, but would first like to hear from you. If God would make you great in one aspect of your life or personality, what would you choose?

4 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Dina said...

Wow! I love the "make-me-think" question. I will get back to you and look forward to reading your answer too.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow...when you think about it, it is so hard to choose. I like you enjoy being good at the things I do...and usually avoid that in which I am not good at. I believe I would want to be a great wife and mother someday. I think this comes out of the days happenings though. I won't go into it. Read my blog.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger darcy said...

I've still been thinking about this since we had this discussion, Darin.

I keep coming back to Proverbs 31.. I think what I want to be known for is a woman like the one in Proverbs 31. She made things, wasn't afraid to be a housewife, supported her husband, her kids respected her, and was a woman of dignity and strength... yeppers.. I wanna be that lady. =)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Darin said...

In 1 Kings 3, God granted Solomon one wish. Solomon asked for wisdom. God granted it and Solomon lived a great life.

Samson was great in strength and used it to serve the Lord.

God gifted Moses to be a leader.

I think that God gifted Mary to be a great mother.

Elijah was great in prayer, and thus was great in spiritual power.

Paul was a great missionary.

John Wooden is a great coach and thus has a platform to tell people about Christ.

Albert Pujols is a great athlete and can tell people about Christ.

I know a doctor who has great wealth and uses it to help people.

I don't think that there is a right answer to the question that God asked me, but I told Him that I wanted to be great in faith. I want to KNOW that without a doubt He has my life in His control. I don't want to worry. I simply want to trust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home