Friday, August 18, 2006

Priorities

I love a good mystery. I love to follow the clues and find the solution. My favorite reality show is Treasure Hunters (actually it is Contender, but it doesn't work as an illustration, and I really do love Treasure Hunters). My favorite regular show is CSI and CSI Miami. Last year I did a 7 week series using National Treasure. So it should be no surprise that I enjoy reading Biblical prophecy and trying to decipher its mystery.

I typically start my day by listening to pastor Leo Geoveneti preach on the radio. This week he was preaching from the book of Ezekiel and was talking about the end times. He showed that the Bible gives 7 major prophecies which must be fulfilled before Christ returns. He explained how some of these had recently happened and how current world events could lead to the fulfillment of the rest in the near future. The message was clear: the end is near. (If you want to hear his messages you can download them at http://www.realliferadio.org/media/newmedia.php

Listening to his teaching made me think.

Now, I'm not going to try to convince you that the end is near. I will continue to pray, study the Bible, and listen to Bible teachers who are speaking about that topic, and I would encourage you to do the same. The end might still 5,000 years away. But, WHAT IF Christ's return were close at hand. What if you knew that you only had 12 years left on this earth. WHAT IF?

I considered that question this week. I thought about how my life and my priorities would change. I realized that the things that cause around 90% of my stress right now, would suddenly fade into obscurity and meaninglessness. I also realized that the things that I spend only 10% of my time, energy, and thoughts on would suddenly be of the utmost importance. Would I still be worried about the stock market? Would I still be worried about moral less politicians who lead our country in the wrong direction? Would I still be annoyed by little things and long for an easier life? Would I still feel tired, or would I sprint through the finish line? Would I ever let an opportunity pass to tell someone about Jesus? Would I still come to church on Sunday without inviting my neighbor?

Christ's return might be 5000 years away, or it could be 5 years away. I don't know for sure, but I've decided to try to live my life like my time is short. There is much to do. There is much to enjoy. There are many to show God's love.

1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have thought about this too, lately. It is amazing how much more positive your outlook can be with just a simple reminder to focus on Today instead of 20 years from now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home