Friday, August 25, 2006

Trust

God is working on me again. In my prayers, in my heart, in my gut, I have had this feeling that he is calling me to trust him. I have this feeling that he is telling me to totally, 100%, unreserved, unashamed, unaware, unsure, unafraid...trust in him. My wife and I had a good talk about this last night before we went to sleep.

Then this morning I read Luke 8:22-25 in my quiet time.

One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let’s go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.
The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we’re going to drown!"
He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples.
In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."


Here's the thing: Many of the disciples were professional fishermen. If there ever was a time for them to trust in themselves, this was it. I am sure that if I had been them I would have been using my training and my understanding to try to save myself. I would have done everything I could think of...everything that is except ask the carpenter in the boat to help me.

What are you good at doing? Maybe you are a professional doctor, teacher, youth pastor, sales assistant, contractor, coach... Can you trust Jesus in that area? Do you really believe that Jesus knows more about that area than you do?

1 Corinthians 1:25 says, "For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom."

Even if God isn't an "expert" in your area of expertise, he is still wiser than you even in that area. Have the courage to trust God in all areas of your life.

If you have a story of God taking care of you in your area of expertise, please consider sharing that story with everyone in the comments.

1 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger darcy said...

I have a story.. but don't want to post here... this post and our conversation made me realize that I'm not trusting in all areas of my life.. =/ Thanks for making me think, sweetie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home